In this post we will explain how you can lay your own artificial turf at home; however, we recommend that a professional always installs your artificial turf.
How to prepare the ground for artificial turf?
Preparing the ground is the first phase of installation. If you are going to lay artificial turf on a solid surface, such as concrete, you should clean the area with a brush so that no stones, branches or other objects are left behind.
If the installation is to be done on a ground surface where weeds are growing, then you must move the soil, remove all traces of stones, branches and roots, flatten and then place the geotextile mesh that will prevent the growth of the grass.
Artificial grass installation guide
- Condition the soil: as a first step in the case of soil surface it is essential that you remove stones and roots.
- To facilitate the heavy work of moving the rolls of grass, cover the ground with a mixture of gravel and sand.
- Rake the sand and gravel mixture to remove any hills and level the ground.
- Once the ground has been levelled, moisten the soil.
- Now proceed to compact the land: it is advisable to do it with a compactor.
- Now, before installing the artificial grass, it is time to install the geotextile layer.
- After the geotextile mat is installed, you must take the measurements of the area where you will be installing the artificial turf.
- With the area measurements taken, you should cut the synthetic turf.
- Lay the synthetic turf in the area already prepared, remember the cuts you have made, especially if you had to make a cut to surround any element.
- Place the joints well next to each other, making sure that the fibres or hairs are pointing in the same direction. Once this is confirmed, proceed to place the band of union under the joints.
- Apply the bicomponent glue on the band, it is recommended that you use a toothed spatula to expand the glue homogeneously.
- After gluing the joints it is time to place the spikes, so the artificial grass will have more stability.
- Brush the artificial turf in a counter pile position.
Depending on the surface
Below we advise you how to install artificial grass according to its type of surface.
- The measurements of the artificial turf must be accurate to save the cut and to ensure that it is not missed.
- Proper placement of the adhesive strip is essential for the stability of the artificial turf. Place the base of the turf joints on the strips.
- All the joints or carpets that you need to cut out to cover the area must be joined together as they will form a single element, which will give a uniform appearance.
- Ensure adhesion by pressing down on each area of artificial turf you have glued to the strip. This ensures that the bonding is well done and durable.
On the ground
- The first thing you should do is to remove stones, roots and branches that may hinder the installation from the ground.
- Weeds can appear after the installation of the artificial grass, to avoid this use herbicide.
- You must level the ground, this will prevent hills or holes from interfering with the installation of the artificial turf.
- Lay the grass where you are going to install it.
- Use the adhesive strips to stick each artificial turf carpet together.
- Make sure that the hairs are placed in the same direction.
- For the final touch, you should brush the turf so that it regains its upright shape and looks more natural.
- Spread the artificial turf on the already swept ground, make sure to remove any objects or dirt from the area.
- The joints are the ends of the artificial turf that allow one roll to be connected to another when installing.
- Make sure you attach the synthetic turf well to each end that you have glued.
- Be careful to leave an area for drainage, if the area where you install it has such a system cuts the shape so that it continues to perform its function.
- After the installation you should brush the artificial turf.
Can you install artificial turf yourself?
When you talk about installing artificial turf in your home we can answer that it is possible. It is no secret that installing artificial turf and despite some technicalities is simple. However, to ensure that you get a perfect finish without surprises and complications it is best to have the help of an expert.
You may have every intention of doing this yourself, but an expert knows the advantages and disadvantages of synthetic turf and how best to install it so that the finish has the professional touch.