You’re probably about to make a decision to buy a natural or artificial lawn, whether you’re remodeling your yard, terrace or garden. Whatever your decision, in this small guide we will give you the most important points to use this knowledge to your advantage.
Advantages, disadvantages and characteristics of these lawns will be some of the points to be discussed in this article.
Natural grass vs. artificial grass
Each of these types of grasses is different from the other. In addition, their origin is totally different and so is their maintenance. Therefore, the decision you make when choosing either of these two should be based on your needs and preferences.
The naturalness of your lawn can persuade you to use it, especially if you consider installing it in low-use areas where you might not have to do much maintenance.
Advantages of artificial turf
Artificial grass was created to meet demands that are not covered by natural grass. Its advantages are listed below:
- One of the most important advantages of artificial turf is that it does not require water to maintain itself.
- Installation is quick and easy, you only have to wait a couple of days to start enjoying it.
- It is highly resistant to UV rays and weather changes.
- It lasts for years.
- It does not use earth, it will always be free of it and you will enjoy a clean and soft place.
- Its factory composition makes it hypoallergenic.
- You will save on water costs, you don’t need to hire a gardener for maintenance and you don’t need to buy a pruner.
- It is very practical to be used in interior decoration.
Disadvantages of artificial grass
Nothing is perfect, and artificial grass does not escape this truth.
- The rolls in which artificial turf is presented have a high economic cost.
- You need a flat, conditioned area for the drainage and for installation; if you don’t have this, you need to adapt the surface. Otherwise, the deformed ground with lack of drainage will bring many inconveniences.
Advantages of natural grass
The advantages of natural grass are unique and do not depend on additives, they just come from Mother Nature.
- It is soft to the touch and provides comfort when walking or sitting on it.
- Its price compared to artificial turf rolls is economical.
- Not having synthetic materials does not accumulate heat, and in summer keeps the area cool.
- The area is dyed of the naturalness that contributes.
- It is a natural filter for pollution and noise.
- If you want to make a change in the garden, you can do it yourself, without the need for professional help.
Disadvantages of natural grass
If you still have doubts about which grass is better or which grass to choose, here are the disadvantages of natural grass:
- To maintain its moisture which is an important key to natural turf maintenance. It requires a lot of water, which has a significant impact on your pocket.
- The costs continue, and specialized machines must be available to keep the lawn at the required height, since it is always growing.
- Its maintenance requires stages, and demands effort; sometimes the knowledge of a gardener is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few questions that users ask themselves that will help you.
Which type of grass is more expensive, natural or artificial?
At first glance you could say that artificial turf means even more expense during installation because the ground needs to be prepared beforehand, in order to then proceed with the installation.
After the artificial turf is installed, its maintenance is very economical; in contrast, natural turf requires mowing and other maintenance with specialized machines.
Do you want to have an ecological garden?
If you care about the environment, perhaps you can consider natural grass as the best option, but it requires a lot of water to maintain, otherwise it will dry out. On the other hand, artificial grass saves a lot of water and only needs to be watered once or twice in a month, and this is only to clean it.
What type of grass is most suitable for an allergy sufferer?
Initially, this depends on the type of allergy. This does not mean that artificial turf does not cause allergies, but it does mean that the risk is much lower.
Children and pets, is artificial turf safer or natural turf?
Natural grass seems safe and ideal for pets and children, but most Spanish homes have children and pets, for them artificial grass is more convenient as insects are practically impossible to grow on it and it is very easy to clean.